News
November 30, 2025

Orlando Homeowner Faces Massive Fines After Abandoned Pool Project

Construction owners Editorial Team

An Orlando homeowner who hired what she believed was a trustworthy contractor to build a backyard pool is now confronting an expensive and distressing ordeal. Nearly three years after the project began, the work remains abandoned, communication with the contractor has stopped, and the property has become the focus of an escalating code enforcement case that has more than doubled her original investment.

Courtesy: Photo by Oxana Melis on Unsplash

Aliya Brown said she simply wanted a safe and enjoyable space for her family. Instead, the construction site has become hazardous, deteriorating into a deep, stagnant pit filled with rainwater and mosquitoes. Brown told WESH 2 Investigates that she feels deceived by a contractor she once believed was reputable.

Walking the investigative team around the yard, she pointed out the cracked tiles that had been pulled up around what was meant to be a new deck. "The holes are from other cracked tiles that were pulled up," Brown said, noting that the area is now so compromised she refuses to let her children play anywhere near it.

Brown paid approximately $45,000 upfront toward the $52,000 total contract in January 2023, expecting progress within months. Instead, the project came to a halt, and Brown says her attempts to reach the contractor went unanswered. Today, the unfinished pool sits as a hollowed-out shell — a safety hazard, a breeding ground for pests, and a source of growing financial penalties.

Brown said she believes she is entitled to a full refund so she can hire another contractor to finish the work, but she also admitted she doubts she will ever get that money back.

The contractor, Anson Avery Gallaway, is identified in Florida Division of Corporations records as the owner of Cat 5 Home Center and Cat 5 Prefab Homes. One of those business names appears on Brown’s contract. When WESH 2 attempted to speak to Gallaway in September, he declined to comment, saying only “No,” before directing questions to his attorney.

Gallaway’s silence may be related to his mounting legal issues. He is currently facing a misdemeanor charge in Volusia County for “engaging in contracting without certification.” That charge stems from a Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) investigation involving alleged unlicensed contracting.

Courtesy: Photo by Chromatograph on Unsplash

DBPR is also investigating additional complaints involving Gallaway. A homeowner in Deltona paid Gallaway $40,000 for an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) that remains unfinished. Another Orange County homeowner reported paying for an ADU that was never built. The agency has notified Brown and several others that investigators found probable cause to continue looking into Gallaway’s business operations.

Reflecting on the ordeal, Brown said, “You know I consider myself a trustworthy person, and some people just operate untrustworthy, and that's just their character.”

Meanwhile, her property has suffered extensive collateral damage. Between abandoned materials, uprooted fencing, scattered piping, and debris left behind as the project stalled, Brown said restoring the yard alone has been costly and emotionally draining. The condition of the site triggered multiple code enforcement violations earlier this year.

The county has placed a lien on her property until she pays the fines. In July, she received an official notice citing her “swimming pool” for not being “maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, and in good repair.” As of now, the total fines have surpassed $108,000 — more than twice the price of the original construction contract.

Feeling overwhelmed, Brown said, “I just basically threw money out the window, and it's caused more problems, and I'm just trying to do the right thing to be on the right page.” She is now actively searching for a licensed contractor who can take over the project, pull the remaining permits, and bring the site back into compliance.

Orange County officials told WESH 2 Investigates they are aware of the circumstances surrounding Brown’s project and her dispute with Gallaway. The county stated, "The county is mindful of the homeowner's situation and will work with the homeowner to reduce fines once the property is brought into compliance."

Brown hopes to resolve the code enforcement issues and stabilize the property before the end of the year, but the ordeal has left her with ongoing financial, legal, and emotional burdens she never expected when she first envisioned a simple backyard pool.

Originally reported by Greg Fox in Wesh 2 News.

Get the inside scoop on the latest trending construction industry news and insights directly in your inbox.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.